Jawf Police: Five citizens arrested for throwing stones at official vehicle    Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques receives phone call from President of Tunisia    Foreign Minister receives phone call from US Secretary of State    Ministry of Finance Signs MoU with Bpifrance Assurance Export    Eng. Al-Rajihi Inaugurates SR 500 Million Community Fund to Mitigate Impacts of COVID-19 Pandemic    Djibouti Strongly Condemns Ballistic Missiles Launched by Houthi Militias towards the Kingdom    Saudi Aramco Supports Health Endowment Fund with SR 200 Million for Combating Coronavirus    Saudi Stock Market index closes high at 6569.39 points    Spain: 7,719 New Coronavirus Cases, 864 Deaths    National Digital Transformation Committee Issues Annual Report for 2019    UAE registers 53 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death    Asian shares mixed    Bangladesh reports first coronavirus death    Senior Scholars Council Issues Decision No. 246 Regarding Attendance of Friday Prayer and Prayers at Mosques in a Case of Spread of Epidemic or Fear of its Spread    Saudi Aramco International Women's Golf Championship receives more than 100 international players    Liverpool ride early jolt to return to winning ways    Saudi Arabia to Host First Professional Women Golf Tournament    Tunisia, Senegal to the finals of Arab Youth Cup U20    Hail Region Governor to Patronize 2020 Diabetes and Obesity International Conference    Winter at Tantora Celebrates Eastern and Western Culture as AlUla Embraces a Night of Persian Music    Saudi Health Economics Experts Dialogue Forum Held in Riyadh    Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Addresses Citizens and Muslims on Eid Al-Fitr    Custodian of Two Holy Mosques addresses Citizens and Muslims on the Advent of Holy Month of Ramadan    Ministry of Hajj and Umrah Launches Awareness Message on Sacrifice Day    Newcastle Beat West Ham 3-0 for their first Win of the Season    Mourinho insists Ibrahimovic must be good enough for Manchester United    Reforms have saved the economy from possible recession, say analysts    The King and Crown Prince congratulates Moldova's President    More than 1,5 million pilgrims arrive in Saudi Arabia, so far    MWL allocates SR 7 million for Eid sacrifice project in 47 countries    Saudi Campaign provides educational and training services for Syrians in Al-Za'tari camp    Saudi student goes missing in Kentucky, US    Harvey lashes Texas US coast with high wind, torrential rain    North Korea tests short-range missiles as South Korea, US conduct drills    Samsung leader Jay Y. Lee given five-year jail sentence for bribery    Known days    "MODON" Signs MoU with Chinese Goldwind Company for wind-turbines manufacturing in the Kingdom    Flyadeal, Saudi Arabia's new low-cost airline, scheduled to launch on September 23, reports    Mastercard launches Masterpass in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia    Honda among 27 Japan players named for World Cup qualifiers    Joker, Harley Quinn movie in works with 'Crazy Stupid Love' filmmakers    Madhuri Dixit to venture into Marathi films as a producer    Consumers warned against using some brands of face powder, hair products    How 'GOT' makers made the frozen lake in 'Beyond the Wall'    Shraddha Kapoor wants people to help the needy    Neymar targets improvement after phenomenal home debut    Politicizing the pilgrimage    Rakhi 2017: "Bond of Love" between a brother and his sister    







Thank you for reporting!
This image will be automatically disabled when it gets reported by several people.





Barcelona attack driver still at large, identity confirmed
Published in Alriyadh on 21 - 08 - 2017

Spanish authorities confirmed on Monday the identity of the driver of the deadly van attack in Barcelona and said that he is the last member of the 12-man Islamic extremist cell still at large.
Catalan interior minister Joaquim Forn told Catalunya Radio that 22-year-old Moroccan suspect Younes Abouyaaqoub is the final target of a manhunt that has been ongoing since Thursday's attack in Barcelona.
Forn said that "everything indicates" that Abouyaaqoub was the driver of the van that plowed down Barcelona's emblematic Las Ramblas promenade on Thursday, killing 13 pedestrians and injuring over 120 more. Another attack hours later by other members of the cell killed one person and injured several more in the coastal town of Cambrils.
Abouyaaqoub was believed to be the lone attacker on the run by Sunday, but authorities hadn't confirmed his identity because they were having difficulty identifying the remains of at least one extremist who died in an explosion Wednesday at a house where explosives were being prepared.
"It's evident that the person who committed the van attack can't be dead because the explosion happened before the attack in Las Ramblas," Forn told Catalunya Radio.
Police killed five suspected extremists in the Cambrils attack in a shootout. Four others have been arrested.
Spanish newspaper El Pais published images Monday of what it says is Abouyaaqoub supposedly making a getaway on foot after the Barcelona van attack. The three images show a slim man wearing sunglasses seemingly walking through what El Pais says is traditional La Boqueria market just off Las Ramblas.
Catalonia's regional president, meanwhile, said that regional and local authorities rejected the Spanish government's suggestion to place traffic barriers to protect the Las Ramblas promenade because they deemed them "inefficient."
Carles Puigdemont told La Sexta television that regional and municipal authorities discarded the suggestion because the barriers wouldn't have prevented vehicles from entering the promenade at other points. Besides that, Puigdemont said closing off Las Ramblas was impractical because emergency vehicles still would need to be able to access the area.
Reports say the suggestion was made after other big vehicle attacks in Europe, but the precise timing wasn't clear.


Clic here to read the story from its source.